9.09.2007

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

If you look at the post below, you'll see the beginnings of what I'd bookmarked, written down, etc, for you to learn about the Internet. I spent about 30 minutes compiling those sources into that post before I realized that I'd be here all day (still at the too-crowded Barnes & Noble, still fighting that virus). What's the problem?

The problem is that the subject of the Internet's history -- even a selective one -- is huge.

So I have a new idea. (I'm going to leave the previous post, because it may help to have those links later.) We have two things to do:

1. Learn how to search for information on the Internet
2. Decide as a class (with my veto in full force) what you should learn on your own

We'll get you interacting with the World Wide Web, and then we'll set up your blogs. I have a list of information I need you to know about the Internet, but the second item in that list above lets you decide if you want to learn a particular fact. For instance, if you're interested in how many hours people spend online per day, that's good; I have that on my list, too. If you're interested in how many people meet their future spouses through online dating sites, that's good, too; it's not on my list, but it sounds interesting.

No comments: